Established in 1863, the 'Gujaratmitra is one of the oldest newspapers in the country. A bi-weekly named 'Gujaratdarpan' was amalgamated in 1894 with the 'Gujaratmitra' and therefore the paper is known as 'Gujaratmitra & Gujaratdarpan'. Initially started as a weekly in 1936 the paper was converted into a daily. The spirit of patriotism and missionary zeal established by its founder Shri Dinshaw Ardeshir Talyarkhan was at its Zenith during the freedom struggle and has been maintained even today.
In 1998, the alliance of the Reshamwala family with the 'Gujaratmitra' completed its 100 years as Shri Uttamram Reshamwala joined it as sub-editor in 1898. Deeply concerned about the noble and idealistic policies of the paper and its future, in 1920, the aging and feeble Parsi owner could not find anyone more worthy and devoted than Shri Uttamram and urged him to purchase the press and take over the reins of the newspaper. Since then the 'Gujaratmitra' belongs to the 'Reshamwala' family. 1n 1937 Pravinkant, the younger son of Shri Uttamram Reshamwala had to take over the reins of the newspaper at the tender age of 19 on the sudden and untimely demise of his elder brother Shri Champaklal. With his strong determination, progressive policies and devoted love towards the 'Gujaratmitra', the late Shri Pravinkant Reshamwala nurtured the paper to a sound footing. After his demise in 1983 the 'Gujaratmitra' is in the hands of his son Shri Bharat Reshamwala.